Some people may just think that it’s not possible to change Username in self hosted WordPress blogs. But it’s not so. You can easily change Username in WordPress, even though the “Admin” interface doesn’t have any option to do this. For security reasons also, it’s better to change your default username, which is “admin” to something else. I think WordPress should really consider to include this option to change Username from it’s Admin interface in future releases. Well, till then, let’s learn how to change Username manually.
To change Username in WordPress, follow the below steps:
- Log on to your cPanel
- Browse to your phpMyAdmin
- Now in the left hand side, there should be your WordPress database’s name. Click on it.
- Now you will be able to see the tables. Navigate to wp_users table and then click on the Browse button. (“wp” is the WordPress database prefix, and it may be different in your case)
5. You will be able to see the record of this table. Click on the pen type icon to edit this record. Or see the below screenshot.
6. Now locate the user_login field, and change the value to your desired new username. So this is how you can change your username in self hosted wordpress blogs.
Note: Follow all these steps with utmost care and if incase of any confusion refer to the screenshots above.