Microsoft has released Windows 8 Consumer Preview, which is free to download the official site. This is the upcoming operating system from Microsoft. You must be excited about this new shiny operating system. A new OS means that old or aging computer’s death. But in most cases, this would not be the case with Windows 8. Take a look at minimum system recommendations for Windows 8:
Windows 8 System Requirements
Windows 8 works great on the same hardware that powers Windows Vista and Windows 7:
- 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
- 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
- 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
- DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
- Taking advantage of touch input requires a screen that supports multi-touch
Looking at these system requirements we can say that they are pretty low. A computer running Windows Vista and 7, in most cases will be able to run Windows 8 also. The OS is also targeted towards low powered devices like netbooks and tablets.
At this time, we can say that these are the official system requirements of Windows 8. According to Microsoft, these are the requirements of Windows 8 Consumer Preview but most probably these are going to be the system requirements of Windows 8 also. It’s great that Microsoft has not increased the system requirements.