Sometimes it becomes difficult to manually find the file which you are looking for in a file server. A file server is a PC attached to a network for the purpose of sharing files on the network. It means all the workstations attached can copy, paste, cut, modify all the files from the file server. E.g. a Z: on “My Computer”. File servers are used mostly for universal storage and use of the files, so that any files can be accessed from any PC on a local area network.
Search Files on LAN’s Shared Folder (File server)
LAN search Pro is a good utility for searching files on LAN, and that also very fast. You can also use this software for using specific file types by using wildcards like *.mp3, *.gif, *.mpg, etc.It also allows you to perform actions like move, copy, rename, etc funcions.
You can customize the search area, search all hidden resources, network folders and so on with the help of LAN search pro.
LAN search pro can be used on Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7.
There is also a portable version of this program. I would prefer the portable version as it can be carried on a flash drive can be used directly from flash drive. You don’t even need to install it.
Here are some key features of LAN Search Pro:
- Save, load, sort, navigate, and perform any other actions on the search results.
- Fast multithreaded search engine
- Support of large amounts of data – the list can now contain up to 2,000,000 files
- Ability to search the resources with restricted access (the ones you need a login and password to access).
- Ability to ignore some computers (e.g. slow servers) when performing the search. You can also search for specific servers only.
- Ability to search specific network folders and much more.
- Search according to the specified criteria, search filters.
- Ability to search the hidden resources, IP subnetworks, LAN FTP servers.
You can download this software from softpedia & yes the best thing about it is that it is free.