Windows 8 comes with a new interface and with this new interface comes some new shortcut keys that are never seen before. Keyboard shortcuts are a great way to improve the productivity and speed of using Windows. Microsoft has introduced new keyboard shortcuts for Windows 8 that can enhance your experience of using this new OS. Most shortcuts of Windows 7 will also work in Windows 8 but since Microsoft has introduced a new Start screen and some new features, its worth taking a look at these new shortcut keys.
List of Windows 8 Shortcut Keys
- Windows key: Open Metro start screen.
- Windows + C: Open Charms menu.
- Windows + D: Open old Windows desktop.
- Windows + B: Back to Desktop.
- Windows + I: Open settings panel.
- Windows + Print Screen: Capture screenshot of current screen and save it in Pictures folder.
- Windows + Z: Open the App bar for the current application.
- Windows + Enter: Launch Narrator.
- Windows + H: Open the Metro Share panel.
- Windows + Q: Open Metro App Search screen.
- Windows + Page Up: Move Start screen to left monitor.
- Windows + Page Down: Move Start screen to right monitor.
- Windows + W: Open settings search screen.
- Windows + F: Open file search.
- Windows + K: Open the Connect charm.
- Windows + , (comma): Peek at the desktop.
- Windows + V: Cycle through notifications.
- Windows+ Shift + V: Cycle through Notification in reverse order.
- Windows + T: Preview open windows in taskbar.
- Windows + . (period): Snap a metro app to the right.
- Windows + J: Switch focus between snapped and larger apps.
- Windows + L: Switch users (Lock computer if on a domain).
- Windows + X: Quick link power user commands.
Microsoft has provided a PDF document listing out Keyboard shortcuts for Windows 8 which can be downloaded from here.
This list does not contain shortcuts that are available in Windows 7, but they still work in Windows 8 also. You’ll observe that most of these shortcuts require Windows key to be pressed first and then the other key. With Windows 8, you’ll need to press the handy “Windows” key more often. Try out these shortcut keys in Windows 8 and improve your computing speed.