Rescue CDs are a great way to disinfect the computer from viruses. Many different antivirus companies offer free rescue disks which can help disinfect the computer from outside the operating system, by booting from CD/USB flash disk. This is useful especially when you’re dealing with a PC that is completely infected with viruses. Let’s see how to create a bootable Kaspersky Rescue Disk, containing latest antivirus definitions.
Some viruses are so smart they can disable task manager, folder options and they won’t remove even after many efforts. Problems increase when the computer is so damaged that the operating system or antivirus software fails to launch. To remove such threats by logging on to Windows is very difficult or almost impossible in many cases, thus this is where we can use the rescue disk (live CD/DVD/USB flash drive).
Kaspersky is a very popular name among virus removal tools and it offers a feature to create “Kaspersky Rescue Disk”. Using this feature we can create a bootable CD or USB flash drive which contains tools for efficiently detecting and eliminating threats.
Creating a Bootable Kaspersky Rescue Disk
The first thing we’ll need to create a rescue disk is “Kaspersky Internet Security”. If you’re not already using this suite, then you can download the trial version from here.
- After installing, start this security suite and from the main interface click on “Tools”.
- You’ll see a list of various tools. Click on the “Create” button to start creating rescue disk.
- You’ll see an overview about what Kaspersky rescue disk is and how is it useful. Click on “Next”.
- From this screen, click on “Download ISO image from Kaspersky Lab server”. This will download the ISO image from Kaspersky server. Wait for the process to finish.
- In this “updating disk image”, click the “Next” button. This will update antivirus definitions/database.
- From this screen select an action. Select your preferred media to create the rescue disk.
Record to CD/DVD: Burn the ISO to a CD/DVD
Record to USB flash drive: Create a bootable USB flash drive
Save the disk image to file on local or network drive: Save the ISO image in your computer. Later on you can burn this ISO to any media.
- Follow the wizard from here on and this will complete the process.
The plus point of using this wizard to create the rescue disk is that it will download the ISO image and then update that image with latest definitions, so that you’re protected from the latest threats.
Kaspersky rescue disk can help you when the computer refuses to boot. Now whenever the disaster strikes, just boot from this rescue disk, and scan your full computer.