Is ‘duplication’ and replication same? If they are same, then why is CD/ DVD duplication and CD/DVD replication different? These are some primary questions people have who are looking for creating a permanent soft copy at mass scale.
Most emphatically the two words mean entirely different for the compact disk industry. Though, both duplication and replication employ the same method for data extraction from the original.
CD/DVD Duplication – The process involves the use of CD-R & DVD-R. It is the common method of burning or encoding data into the disc using a drive with write capabilities. It is mostly done to making quick copies of the data at cheaper costs.
CD/DVD Replication – This involves a more complex method of molding CD/DVD to be the exact copy of the original. The original copy is also known as the master copy. The basic process here is to press the data into the disc’s surface and has great importance for commercial and professional release of projects, software and audio-video releases.
CD/DVD Duplication Vs CD/DVD Replication
The choice is between going for DVD/CD duplication or DVD/ CD replication. So if you are stuck between the two here is quick guide to help you through.
1. Choose CD/DVD Duplication when you;
- Have limited requirements –Duplication process is best when you have the requirement of preparing discs between or below 300 -500.
- Require quick turn around – The process of duplication has a better turn around and is a faster process than replication. If taken on an average about 500+ CD/DVD’s can be ready in less than 2 days, which is not achievable with replication.
- Have price considerations – Duplication till date has been the cheapest way to get your data multiplied. The cost of getting CD/ DVD’s duplicated is less than that of replication but with an exception. With duplication you don’t get same quality and precision which its counterpart offers. So if you have a small scale business need with a tight budget and can cut on quality, CD/DVD duplication is best for you.
2. Choose CD/DVD Replication when you want;
- Accuracy & Quality- The most significant point of replication process is its accuracy. The clarity of data is best and is set for professional sophistication. In replication process you’ll not find any glitches that are common to CD/DVD duplication.
- Quantity – The unit cost of getting DVD/CD replication is less than that of duplication, when you have large CD/DVD’s to replicate. Therefore for replication if you have a minimum of 1000 or higher CD/DVD replication requirements, it would be more cost effective.
- Packaging – When it is replication, emphasis is also for the look and feel of the final copy. Auto assemble is available for most replication facilities which can get you a professional packaging for the CD/DVD replication into jewel cases, amaray cases, paper/tyvek sleeves or cardboard sleeves. This makes the final product more embellished on quality, production and aesthetics.
Related: Download Nero 9 Free Version
The Author of this article Naffisa Williams takes interest on DVD Duplication related products. He has a factory of all storage related technical products, you can check out more information from mydiscoutlet.com. He likes to write on CD replication.